Monday, July 30, 2007

Tirana Again and thoughts about my time in Albania

Well, we're all back in Tirana safe and sound. It was hard to leave Erseke and all the friends we had made, but we made it out only a little worse for the wear. I think we're all a bit sad to leave those people that we had spent everyday for the last 6 weeks with, though I know that I'm excited to get home to my friends and family.

I've had an interesting time in Tirana so far. There have been two big events that have happened to me so far. First, I saw a really bad accident happen on the road. A car hit a man while going about 20 miles per hour. I saw him bounce off the hood and his head hit the windshield and broke it. He was out cold. I was surprised at my reaction to it; I just felt like crying, really. I don't know at all what happened to the man. The second incident was that I lost my wallet, which only had about 6 dollars worth of money, but it had my drivers license which would have been a pain. I don't think I would need it on top of my passport for flying, but I still didn't want to have lost it. What really struck me in both situations, and others on this trip, though, was my reaction to it. Both times my first reaction was to pray. I prayed for the man that was hit that he'd be okay, and when I realized that I couldn't find my wallet and there was nothing I could do about it, I prayed that I'd have peace and that it would work itself out. And while I can't speak for the man in the accident, I just got my wallet back; The neighbor of my host family found it and brought it to them. Furthermore all my other prayers have been answered.

I've really learned to trust God a lot more on this trip. I've learned to pray expecting that God will hear me and that he wants to answer my prayer. I started this trip with a similar hope, that I would learn to lean on God more, but I didn't expect it in this way. Overall, with one day left in Albania, I really feel like this trip was worth it all.

No comments: